Pickles are mostly prepared with vegetables and fruits. People who crave for non vegetarian pickles made of chicken, fishes, prawns and meat, you can find some recipes in this blog. Pickles go well with any kind of food you eat and has been an integral part while having lunch or dinner especially with curd rice. While I was staying in hostel away from home, these non-veg pickles where so much of a relief. from the hostels not so tasty food. So lets prepare chicken pickle.
IngredientsBoneless chicken - 500gm
Gingelly oil/ refined sunflower oil - 250gm
Tamarind extract - 100gm
Powdered asafoetida - 1 tsp
Mustard - 2 tsp
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Sodium benzoate - a pinch
Garlic - 3-4 pods
Red chillies - 20
White vinegar - 100gm
- Dry roast and powder the chillies, methi seeds and mustard.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Cut the chicken into small, even pieces and wash.
- Drain and sauté the chicken till the moisture evaporates.
- Heat the oil.
- Fry the cloves to a light brown colour.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry till they turn soft and add salt to taste.
- Add all the ingredients except vinegar and sodium benzoate on low heat till the oil separates. Add vinegar and deep fry on slow fire for five minutes.
- Remove and let cool.
- Fill the pickle in a sterilized jar.
- Sprinkle sodium benzoate and seal the jar with a clean muslin cloth.
Be careful not to use wet/moist spoons each time you take pickle from the jar.It will spoil the pickles faster.